<h3>blank</h3>
<h4>Indiana University Presidents 1829-2017</h4>
<p>“What the people want is open paths from every corner of the state through the schools to the highest and best things which men can achieve. To make such paths, to make them open to the poorest and make them lead to the highest, is the mission of democracy.”—William Lowe Bryan, 1903</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/29948683054/in/album-72157671118296423/“alt=“Sample Gates”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Communications</p>
<h3>1829-1851</h3>
<h4>Andrew Wylie</h4>
<p>On October 19, 1829, the Reverend Andrew Wylie was inaugurated as the first president of Indiana College. He was the third member of the faculty and earned a B.A. in 1810 from Jefferson College. Previously he held the position of president at Jefferson College (1811-1817) and Washington College (1817-1829). He died in office from an injury sustained while chopping wood.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/29946810223/in/album-72157671118296423/“alt=“Andrew Wylie”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0023346</p>
<h3>1835</h3>
<h4>Wylie House</h4>
<p>Built in 1835, Andrew Wylie’s house has been preserved as a historic museum. Purchased by the university in 1947 and restored in 1961-1965, the house is furnished as it might have looked in the 1840s when Dr. Wylie and his family lived there. The museum is open to the public and serves as a campus resource for classes from a variety of disciplines.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30580834205/in/album-72157671118296423/“alt=“Wylie House”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Libraries </p>
<h3>1884</h3>
<h4>Wylie Hall</h4>
<p>Wylie Hall was named in honor of Andrew Wylie and was the first building constructed on the new campus after it moved to its current location. Completed in 1884, the library was first housed there along with the physics and chemistry departments.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/29949552484/in/album-72157671118296423/”alt=“Wylie Hall 1938”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0030732</p>

<h3>1852-1853</h3>
<h4>Alfred Royers</h4>
<p>Formerly a professor of mathematics at Ohio University (1836-1843) and Indiana University (1843-1848), Alfred Ryors was appointed on June 3, 1852. He left Indiana University to assume the presidency of Ohio University in 1848, a position he held for four years. Ryors resigned his IU presidency in 1853 to become professor of mathematics at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30482917812/in/album-72157671118296423/“alt=“Alfred Royers”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021706</p>
<h3>1853-1859</h3>
<h4>William Mitchel Daily</h4>
<p>After serving one and a half days as a Trustee, Reverend William Daily (B.A. Indiana University 1836) was elected IU’s third president on August 2, 1853. In 1858, several charges were filed against Daily including accusations of plagiarism, non-payment of debts, and incompetence. Although the charges were later dropped, he resigned under pressure on January 26, 1859.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30600263625/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“William Mitchel Daily”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0020861</p>
<h3>1859-1860</h3>
<h4>John Hiram Lathrop</h4>
<p>After serving as the first president of the University of Missouri and the first chancellor of the University of Wisconsin, John Lathrop (B.A. Yale University 1819), (L.L.D. Hamilton College 1845) was named as Indiana University’s fourth president in 1859. He held the post for one year before accepting a professorship at the University of Missouri, stating he preferred faculty life to that of an administrator. In 1865, however, he was again made president of the University of Missouri and died while in office in 1866.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30126837334/in/album-72157671118296423/”alt=“John Hiram Lathrop”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021334</p>
<h3>1860-1875</h3>
<h4>Cyrus Nutt </h4>
<p>Cyrus Nutt (B.A. Allegheny College 1831) became Indiana University’s fifth president in 1860 and was installed on June 27, 1861. Previously Nutt had been a professor of languages at Indiana Asbury (now DePauw) University (1837-1843), president of Fort Wayne Female College (1849-1850), president of Whitewater College (1850-1855), professor of mathematics at Indiana Asbury University (1857-1860). IU became coeducational during Nutt’s administration, admitting its first female student in 1867. Nutt led the university for 15 years before resigning in 1875. He died a few weeks after his resignation.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30758928305/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Cyrus Nutt”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021566</p>
<h3>1960</h3>
<h4>Cyrus Nutt Hall</h4>
<p>Completed in 1960, one building in the Redbud Hill Apartment complex is named after President Nutt.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/32555706520/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“ Cyrus Nutt Hall”>
<p>Courtesy of Indiana University</p>
<h3>1875-1884</h3>
<h4>Lemuel Moss</h4>
<p>In September 1875, the Reverend Lemuel Moss, came to Indiana University as its sixth president after serving as president of the University of Chicago for a year. He earned a B.A. in 1858 from Rochester University and a degree from Rochester Theological Seminary in 1860. He resigned in November 1884 amid allegations of an improper relationship with a female professor.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30722437256/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Lemuel Moss”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040097</p>
<h3>1885-1891</h3>
<h4> David Starr Jordan </h4>
<p>On January 1, 1885, 34-year-old David Starr Jordan was inaugurated as the seventh president of Indiana University. Jordan was an outstanding scientist and the first layman to be named president of IU. He earned a M.S. from Cornell University in 1872, an M.D. in 1875 from Indiana Medical College and a Ph.D. from Butler University in 1878. Jordan oversaw the university’s move to the new campus at Dunn’s Woods in 1885. He resigned in 1891 to become the first president of Stanford University, a position he held until 1913.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30642738242/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“David Starr Jordan”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0033881</p>
<h3>1956 </h3>
<h4>Jordan Hall </h4>
<p>Jordan Hall, named in honor of David Starr Jordan, opened in 1956 and originally housed the departments of bacteriology, zoology, and botany.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30671010691/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Jordan Hall 1955”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0020059</p>
<h3>1994</h3>
<h4>Jordan River</h4>
<p>Originally this small creek that flows through IU's campus was known as "Spanker's Branch," but over the years was colloquially called Jordan River in honor of David Starr Jordan. The river was officially renamed in 1994.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30723467916/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Jordan River 1943”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040089</p>
<h3>1891-1893</h3>
<h4>John Merle Coulter</h4>
<p>A three-time graduate of Hanover College (B.A. 1870, M.A. 1873, Ph.D. 1883), John Merle Coulter accepted the position of president and professor of botany at Indiana University in 1891. One of his largest responsibilities was replacing faculty members who followed David Starr Jordan to Stanford University. Coulter resigned in 1893 to become the president of Lake Forest University until 1896. He then chaired the botany department at the University of Chicago until 1926.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30127992664/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“ John Merle Coulter”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040101</p>
<h3>1946</h3>
<h4>John M. Coulter Hall</h4>
<p>Built in 1946, John M. Coulter Hall is one of the buildings located in the John W. Ashton Center.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/32939113485/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“ John Merle Coulter Hall”>
<p>Courtesy of Indiana University</p>

<h3>1893-1902</h3>
<h4>Joseph Swain</h4>
<p>Joseph Swain was IU’s first Indiana-born president. A native of Pendleton, Indiana, he attended IU as an undergraduate (B.A. 1883) and graduate student (M.S. 1885), and began his teaching career in IU’s departments of mathematics and biology. He left his professorship at IU in 1891 to follow departing IU president David Starr Jordan to Stanford University. He then accepted the invitation to return to IU as president in 1893, a position he held for nine years. Swain left IU in 1902 to become the president of Swarthmore College for nineteen years.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30643673262/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Joseph Swain”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021858</p>
<h3>1957</h3>
<h4> Swain Hall East</h4>
<p>Biology Hall was completed in 1910 and was renamed Swain Hall East in honor of Joseph Swain in 1957.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30459655440/in/dateposted-public/ “alt=“Swain Hall East 1963”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0033929</p>
<h3>1902-1937</h3>
<h4>William Lowe Bryan</h4>
<p>William Lowe Bryan graduated from IU with a B.A. in 1884 and a M.A. in 1886. He then earned a Ph.D. from Clark University in 1892. Bryan returned to IU in 1893 to accept a professorship in the psychology department and the appointment to vice president of the university. He succeeded Joseph Swain as president in 1902 and led the institution for 35 years until 1937. Bryan presided over the transformation of IU from a small, traditional liberal arts college into a modern research university. His most notable accomplishment was the expansion of graduate and professional training.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30843697096/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“William Lowe Bryan”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0020488</p>
<h3>1936</h3>
<h4>Bryan Hall</h4>
<p>Built in 1936, the Administration Building was renamed the William Lowe Bryan Administration Building in 1957.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30880377225/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“Bryan Hall 1940”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0035957</p>
<h3>1924</h3>
<h4>Bryan House</h4>
<p>The President's House was completed in 1924 and was renamed the William and Charlotte Lowe Bryan House in 1970. Bryan House was remodeled in 2016 and an outdoor amphitheater was added nearby.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30843847316/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Bryan House 1993”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0022139</p>
<h3>1938-1962</h3>
<h4>Herman B Wells</h4>
<p>In 1938, Herman B Wells was named Indiana University’s eleventh president. He served as president three different times-1937 to 1938 (acting president), 1938 to 1962 (president), 1968 (interim president) as well as IU chancellor for 38 years. A graduate of Indiana University (B.S. 1925, M.A. 1927), he was a professor of economics and business administration (1933-1935) and dean of the School of Business (1935-1937). Wells was an educational visionary who helped transform IU into an internationally recognized center of research and scholarship.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30248751114/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Herman B Wells”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0030840</p>

<h3>1961</h3>
<h4>Wells House</h4>
<p>Chancellor Wells moved into this house after his presidency and lived there until his death in 2000. This elegant house continues to host various university events.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31061042235/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Wells House 1964”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0033410</p>

<h3>2000</h3>
<h4>Herman B Wells Statue</h4>
<p> Located in the Old Crescent, a bronze sculpture of Wells warmly greets students to campus. To celebrate his life and legacy, the university commissioned a sculpture. The statue was dedicated in the fall of 2000, six months after his death. A new IU tradition is to shake Wells’ outstretched hand at the beginning of each term for good fortune.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31061308715/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Herman B Wells Statue”>
<p>Courtesy of the Indiana Daily Student</p>
<h3>1969</h3>
<h4>Herman B Wells Library</h4>
<p>Construction of the new Main Library began in 1966 and was completed in 1969—the building was renamed in 2005 in honor of Herman B Wells. It is currently the 13th largest research library in the nation and houses over half of the university's collection—about 3 million volumes.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/32405510565/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Wells Library”>
<p> Courtesy of Indiana University Bloomington</p>
<h3>1993</h3>
<h4>Wells Scholars Program</h4>
<p>The Wells Scholarship was created in honor of the late IU President Herman B Wells, and ranks among the most competitive and prestigious awards offered by any American university. The scholarship covers the full cost of attendance for four years of undergraduate study on IU’s Bloomington campus.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/34111937812/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“Herman B Wells and students”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0033114</p>

<h3>1962-1968</h3>
<h4>Elvis J. Stahr Jr.</h4>
<p>Elvis J. Stahr Jr. became Indiana University’s twelfth president in 1962 after serving as the secretary of the Army during the first two years of the Kennedy administration. He earned a B.A. from the University of Kentucky, a M.A. from Yale University in 1943 and several degrees from Oxford University including a B.C.L in 1939. Stahr resigned from IU in 1968 to accept the presidency of the National Audubon Society. From 1981-1998, Stahr practiced law in Washington, D.C., and lobbied for environmental issues.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31180015025/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“Elvis J. Stahr Jr.”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021822</p>
<h3>1966</h3>
<h4>Elvis J. Stahr Senior Awards</h4>
<p>This award was established in 1966, and honors three to five IU seniors who have excelled academically while serving as active campus and community leaders.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/34228423896/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“Elvis J. Stahr Jr.”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021824</p>

<h3> 1968-1971</h3>
<h4>Joseph Lee Sutton</h4>
<p>Joseph Lee Sutton (B.A. 1948, M.A. 1949, Ph.D. 1954 University of Michigan) was an academic presence on the Indiana University Bloomington campus for 13 years before being named president in 1968. His tenure saw the dedication of the IU Main Library in 1970. Sutton resigned his position as president in 1971 but continued his work as a professor of political science at IU. He died on April 29, 1972, at the age of 48, as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31144395256/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Joseph Lee Sutton”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021852</p>
<h3>1971-1987</h3>
<h4>John W. Ryan</h4>
<p>John William Ryan earned a B.A. in 1951 from the University of Utah and an M.A. (1958) and Ph.D. (1959) from Indiana University. He was a professor of political science at the University of Wisconsin (1958-1962), chancellor of the University of Massachusetts Boston (1965-1968), and vice president for regional campuses at Indiana University (1968-1971). He was appointed Indiana University’s fourteenth president in 1971. His 16 years of service to the university saw the establishment of IU campuses is New Albany and Richmond, the formation of various cultural centers on the Bloomington campus, and the journalism school becoming a system-wide entity. Ryan retired in 1987 and was immediately appointed president emeritus of Indiana University. He remained an active figure within the university until his death in 2011.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31563143944/in/dateposted-public/alt=“John William Ryan”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0029129</p>

<h3>1991</h3>
<h4>John W. Ryan Award for International Programs</h4>
<p>This award, also known as the John W. Ryan Award for Distinguished Contributions to International Programs and Studies, was initiated in 1991. The Ryan Award honors Indiana University faculty members who have made exceptional contributions to the university's international programs and engagement.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/33426753694/in/dateposted-public/alt=“John William Ryan”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0025809</p>

<h3>1987-1994</h3>
<h4>Thomas Ehrlich</h4>
<p>Thomas Ehrlich served seven years as the president of Indiana University. He earned a B.A. from Harvard College in 1956 and an LL.B. from Harvard Law School in 1959. Ehrlich was a professor of law at Stanford University (1965-1975), dean of the Stanford University Law School (1971-1975), and provost and professor of law at the University of Pennsylvania (1982-1987). Upon his retirement from IU, he joined California State University as Distinguished University Scholar and held that position until 2000 when he became a senior scholar at the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. A former dean of Stanford Law School, he returned to Stanford in 2009 as a visiting professor of education.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31037285132/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“Thomas Ehrlich”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040166</p>
<h3>2001</h3>
<h4>Thomas Ehrlich Service Learning Award</h4>
<p>This award, first conferred in 2001, honors faculty members who have shown outstanding leadership in integrating community and public service into their curricula.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/33884808980/in/dateposted-public/alt=“Thomas Ehrlich”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0020956</p>

<h3>1994-2002</h3>
<h4>Myles Brand</h4>
<p>Myles Brand earned a B.S. from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1964 and a Ph.D. from the University of Rochester in 1967. Before becoming IU’s sixteenth president, he was provost and vice president for academic affairs at Ohio State University (1986-1989) and president of the University of Oregon (1989-1994). During his time at Indiana University, Brand oversaw a period of remarkable growth including record student enrollments and national leadership in information technology. Dr. Brand then served as president of the National Collegiate Athletic Association for six years until his death in 2009.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31066275461/in/dateposted-public/alt=“Myles Brand”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040169</p>
<h3>2003-2007</h3>
<h4>Adam W. Herbert /h4>
<p>Adam Herbert earned a B.A. from UCLA in 1966, a M.P.A. in 1968, and a Ph.D. from the University of Pittsburgh in 1971. Before becoming president of Indiana University in 2003, he had been chancellor of the State University System of Florida, president of the University of North Florida, and White House fellow and special assistant to the U.S. Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare. Herbert helped each of IU’s eight campuses become more mission-centered by launching the Mission Differentiation initiative and enhanced IU’s relationships with Indiana's community colleges. He also undertook the university’s first major administrative restructuring in 30 years.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/32028199950/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Adam W. Herbert”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0056549</p>
<h3>2003</h3>
<h4>Adam W. Herbert Presidential Scholars Program</h4>
<p>This program offers Indiana's top high school graduates four-year renewable scholarships to attend any of IU's seven campuses throughout the state. Up to 40 incoming Indiana University freshmen are designated Herbert Presidential Scholars each year.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/33427304144/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Adam W. Herbert”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0056552</p>

<h3>2007</h3>
<h4>Michael A. McRobbie</h4>
<p>President McRobbie served as a senior administrator at IU for more than a decade before he was appointed the 18th president of Indiana University in 2007. A native of Australia, McRobbie earned a BA in 1974 from the University of Queensland and PhD in 1979 from the Australian National University. During his time as president, McRobbie has focused his attention on revitalizing IU’s international efforts, rehabilitation of and strategic planning for the physical campuses of IU, and enhancing IU’s academic reputations in the liberal arts and sciences, medical, and professional programs.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/32255496702/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Michael A. McRobbie”>
<p>Courtesy of Indiana University</p>
<h3>2017</h3>
<h4>IU Presidents 1829-2017</h4>
<p>“Someone once said that the first acorn contained the potential for every oak tree that ever existed. Inside each of you, burning in your spirits, is that ember of possibility. You must have the vision to see your potential light a future that stretches far beyond the horizon.”—Michael A. McRobbie, 2007</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30360185964/in/dateposted-public/“alt=“Sample Gates at night”>
<p>Courtesy of Indiana University</p>

<h4>Jordan River</h4>
<p>Originally this small creek that flows through IU's campus was known as "Spanker's Branch," but over the years was colloquially renamed to "Jordan River" in honor of David Starr Jordan, and was formally renamed in 1994.</p>
<img=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30723467916/in/dateposted-public/ “ alt=“Jordan River 1943”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040089</p>
<h3>1891-1893</h3>
<h4>John Merle Coulter</h4>
<p>John Merle Coulter accepted the position of president and professor of botany at Indiana University in 1891. Coulter was instrumental in continuing IU’s extension work, sending lecturers to the larger cities in the state. He resigned in 1893.</p>
<img src=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30127992664/in/dateposted-public/ “ alt=“ John Merle Coulter”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040101</p>
<h3>1893-1902</h3>
<h4>Joseph Swain</h4>
<p>Joseph Swain was IU’s first Indiana-born president. A native of Pendleton, Indiana, he attended IU as an undergraduate and graduate student, and began his teaching career in IU’s departments of mathematics and biology. He left his professorship at IU in 1891 to follow departing IU president David Starr Jordan to Stanford University. He then accepted the invitation to return to IU as president in 1893, a position he held for nine years.</p>
<img src=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30643673262/in/dateposted-public/ “ alt=“Joseph Swain”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021858</p>
<h3>1957</h3>
<h4> Swain Hall East</h4>
<p>Biology Hall was completed in 1910 and was renamed Swain Hall East in honor of Joseph Swain in 1957.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30459655440/in/dateposted-public/ “ alt=“ Swain Hall East 1963”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0033929</p>
<h3>1902-1937</h3>
<h4>William Lowe Bryan</h4>
<p>William Lowe Bryan succeeded Joseph Swain as president in 1902 and led the institution for 35 years until 1937, at which time he retired as president emeritus at the age of 76. Bryan presided over the transformation of IU from a small, traditional liberal arts college into a modern research university. His most notable accomplishment was the expansion of graduate and professional training. During his administration, schools of medicine, education, nursing, business, music, and dentistry were established.</p>
<img src=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30843697096/in/dateposted-public/ “ alt=“William Lowe Bryan”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0020488</p>
<h3>1936</h3>
<h4>Bryan Hall</h4>
<p>Built in 1936, the Administration Building was renamed the William Lowe Bryan Administration Building in 1957.</p>
<img src=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30880377225/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“Bryan Hall 1940”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0035957</p>
<h3>1924</h3>
<h4>Bryan House</h4>
<p>The President's House was completed in 1924 and was renamed the William and Charlotte Lowe Bryan House in 1970.</p>
<img=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30843847316/in/dateposted-public/“ alt=“Bryan House 1993”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0022139</p>
<h3>1938-1962</h3>
<h4>Herman B Wells</h4>
<p>In 1938, Herman B Wells was named Indiana University’s eleventh president, and at the age of 35, was the country’s youngest state university president. He served as president for a quarter century and remained a vital contributor as IU chancellor for another 37 years. His association with the institution spanned eight decades, dating from when he was a student to his death. Wells was an educational visionary who helped transform IU into an internationally recognized center of research and scholarship. Under the Wells presidency, IU experienced its greatest growth and widened its scope to encompass the globe.</p>
<img src=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30248751114/in/dateposted-public/“ alt=“Herman B Wells”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0030840</p>

<h3>1961</h3>
<h4>Wells House</h4>
<p>Chancellor Wells moved into this house on 10th St in 1961 and lived there until his death in 2000. The house now elegantly hosts various events on campus.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31061042235/in/dateposted-public/ “ alt=“Wells House 1964”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0033410</p>

<h3>2000</h3>
<h4>Herman B Wells Statue</h4>
<p>Located in the Old Crescent, a bronze sculpture of Wells warmly greets students to campus. To celebrate his life and legacy, the university commissioned a sculpture shortly after Wells passed away in early 2000. A new IU tradition is to shake Wells’ outstretched hand at the beginning of each term for good fortune.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31061308715/in/dateposted-public/“ alt=“ Herman B Wells Statue”>
<p>Courtesy of the Indiana Daily Student</p>
<h3>1969</h3>
<h4>Herman B Wells Library</h4>
<p>Construction of the new Main Library began in 1966 and was completed in 1969—the building was renamed in 2005 in honor of Herman B Wells. It is currently the 13th largest research library in the nation and houses over half of the university's collection—about 3 million volumes.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31025645136/in/dateposted-public/“ alt=“Wells Library”>
<p>Courtesy of Google Images</p>
<h3>1962-1968</h3>
<h4>Elvis J. Stahr Jr.</h4>
<p>Elvis J. Stahr Jr.’s presidency saw the Gary and Calumet campuses combined to form IU Northwest, the joint IU-Purdue University campus established in Fort Wayne, the founding of the School of Library and Information Science, and the affiliation of the Herron School of Art in Indianapolis with IU.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31180015025/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“ Elvis J. Stahr Jr.”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021822</p>

<h3> 1968-1971</h3>
<h4>Joseph Lee Sutton</h4>
<p>Joseph Lee Sutton was an academic presence on the Indiana University Bloomington campus for 13 years before being named president in 1968. His tenure saw the dedication of the IU Main Library in 1970. Sutton resigned his position as president in 1971 but continued his work as a professor of political science at IU.</p>
<img=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31144395256/in/dateposted-public/“ alt=“ Joseph Lee Sutton”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0021852</p>
<h3> 1971-1987</h3>
<h4>John William Ryan</h4>
<p>During John William Ryan’s tenure, the university saw the establishment of IU campuses is New Albany and Richmond, the formation of various cultural centers on the Bloomington campus, and the journalism school becoming a system-wide entity.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31180565825/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“John William Ryan”>
<p>Courtesy of Google Images.</p>
<h3>1987-1994</h3>
<h4>Thomas Ehrlich</h4>
<p>Thomas Ehrlich served seven years as the president of Indiana University. Though his academic background was in private institutions, he chose to lead a public university because of the responsibilities and challenges of providing both broad access and quality education.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31037285132/in/dateposted-public/ alt=“ Thomas Ehrlich”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040166</p>

<h3>1994-2002</h3>
<h4>Myles Brand</h4>
<p>Myles Brand oversaw a period of remarkable growth at IU, including record student enrollments and national leadership in information technology and the life sciences, while maintaining the university’s traditional strengths in the arts and humanities. Under Brand’s leadership, research grants and contracts more than doubled, and IU received the largest single private gift in its history, a $105 million grant from the Lilly Endowment to fund the Indiana Genomics Initiative.</p>
<img=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31066275461/in/dateposted-public/alt=“Myles Brand”>
<p>Courtesy of IU Archives, P0040169</p>
<h3>2003-2007</h3>
<h4>Adam W. Herbert /h4>
<p>Throughout his presidency, Adam Herbert placed special emphasis on fund raising, particularly in the area of student financial aid. He also enthusiastically promoted diversity in IU’s faculty, staff and student body, challenging each IU campus to develop concrete diversity goals. He oversaw transformative initiatives in teaching, research, and public engagement. Under his direction, the faculty instituted a general education curriculum, and brought more than $1.7 billion to Indiana in research grants and contracts. He undertook the university’s first major administrative restructuring in 30 years, expanded IU’s physical infrastructure through the construction or renovation of more than 3,000,000 square feet of university facilities, and significantly strengthened the university’s athletics programs.</p>
<img src=“https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/31181153565/in/dateposted-public/“ alt=“Adam W. Herbert”>
<p>Courtesy of Google Images</p>
<h3>2007</h3>
<h4>Michael A. McRobbie</h4>
<p>As a senior administrator at IU for the past decade, McRobbie has focused his attention on increasing external funding for IU programs with the goal of doubling such funding by 2010. He has been instrumental in securing multimillion dollar grants for life sciences initiatives such as the Indiana Metabolomics and Cytomics Initiative (METACyt) and the Indiana Genomics Initiative at IU (INGEN), as well as for the popular New Frontiers in the Arts and Humanities Program, which supports the creation of major new works of art in a variety of genres.</p>
<img src=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30813833360/in/dateposted-public/“ alt=“ Michael A. McRobbie”>
<p>Courtesy of Google Images</p>
<h3>2016</h3>
<h4>blank</h4>
<p>“Someone once said that the first acorn contained the potential for every oak tree that ever existed. Inside each of you, burning in your spirits, is that ember of possibility. You must have the vision to see your potential light a future that stretches far beyond the horizon.”—Michael A. McRobbie, 2007</p>
<img=“ https://www.flickr.com/photos/145186649@N02/30360185964/in/dateposted-public/“ alt=“Sample Gates at night”>
<p>Courtesy of Google Images</p>