Bloomington School of Public Health
By: Grace Shymanski, Bicentennial Intern, Class of 2017, French and History
The history of the IU School of Public Health-Bloomington, as we know it in the 21st century, began before the school existed. In the 1890s, there was a smattering of physical training programs and two gymnasium buildings, one for women and one for men.
Through the first half of the 20th century, the development of physical education as a discipline and World War II helped transform recreational physical fitness into organized academia.
This timeline traces the early, embryonic history of the School of Public Health, from the installation of the first gymnasiums in 1890 to the inception of the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation at IU Bloomington in 1946.
Due to website maintenance issues, the images in this timeline were removed in 2020. Please see the final slide for a list of related image numbers from IU Archives.