Bloomington School of Public Health
By: Grace Shymanski, Bicentennial Intern, Class of 2017, French and History
After its birth in 1946, the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (HPER) underwent dramatic development. From new facilities to new degrees and courses, the expansion is evidence of the University’s growing investment in public health during the mid-20th century.
Among the additions were a new golf course, what was then known as Assembly Hall, an exercise physiology laboratory, and a new HPER building. Along the way, IU faculty members and students blazed paths through research.
This timeline follows the many developments and accomplishments of the HPER school through the mid-twentieth century, culminating in the school’s silver anniversary in 1971.
Due to website maintenance issues, the images in this timeline were removed in 2020. Please see the final slide for a list of related image numbers from IU Archives.