IU Bloomington Story Maps

Mapping out Indiana University's history

Disclaimer: The Story Maps on this page are visual depictions of pieces of Indiana University's history. If you need the information in an alternative format, contact the Office of the Bicentennial at iu200@iu.edu or 812-855-1347.

Theophilus A. Wylie III’s Memory Map

Bloomington in the 1800s was vast and unknown, and occupied mainly by frontier settlers. The landscape was dominated by farmland and only a few log cabins, until the first college building was erected at Seminary Square. Andrew Wylie was one of the first individuals to build a house, and this Story Map compares that property to the Wylie House and grounds as they look today.

Interact with the properties

The Legacy of Andrew Wylie

Andrew Wylie was the first president of Indiana College (which became Indiana University in 1838), serving from 1829-1851. He built a house near the college that reflected his Pennsylvania origins, to help his wife Margaret assimilate to her new life on the Indiana “frontier.” This StoryMap showcases life in the 19th century, the Wylie House, and artifacts owned by Andrew Wylie. These artifacts were discovered in 2009 during construction for the Morton Bradley Education Center on 2nd street.

Learn more about Andrew Wylie

The Wylie House

Built in 1835, by Andrew Wylie, Indiana University’s first president, the Wylie House is a historic treasure near the IU Bloomington campus. Theophilus Wylie, Andrew Wylie’s half-cousin and professor of natural philosophy and chemistry at IU in the 19th century, lived there from 1859-1895. The Wylie House shines a light on what life was like in Bloomington in the 19th century, from the garden sitting outside to the artifacts within the house itself. Click on this Story Map to learn more about Theophilus Wylie, the Wylie House, and life in 19th century Bloomington.

Learn more about The Wylie House

Greek Housing

Indiana University Bloomington's campus has grown considerably in the past 80 years to accommodate increasing enrollment, expanded academic offerings and the omnipresent need for student housing. As IU has grown the administration has overtly supported Greek chapters by assisting them in finding suitable housing, often on the periphery of campus. Throughout the years Greek houses have been built, occupied by multiple chapters, demolished and repurposed for academic or administrative initiatives by the university. This interactive spyglass map compares campus in 1939 and today with a focus on Greek housing.

Learn more about The Greek housing