|Topic||Image||Campus||Installation Date ||Marker Text |
|Seiberling Mansion||IU Kokomo||9/16/2019|
The Seiberling Mansion served as Indiana University’s Kokomo Extension Center from 1947 to 1965, until the campus moved to Washington Street. IU President Herman B Wells envisioned building higher education capacity in north-central Indiana to serve anticipated post World War II enrollment growth, especially veterans on the GI Bill. In 1946, IU purchased the Queen Anne/Romanesque Revival-style house, built for industrialist Monroe Seiberling in 1891, along with adjacent Elliott House and carriage houses. The center was led by directors Virgil Hunt, Smith Higgins, and Victor Bogle, who successively oversaw student growth, expansion of faculty and curriculum, and community engagement. In 1971, IU leased the mansion to the Howard County Historical Society to be used as a museum, with the university retaining ownership until 1997. In 1972, the home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
|Tamarack Hall||IU Northwest||9/26/2019|
In 1955, the city of Gary donated land for the site of a new Indiana University campus, the Gary Extension Center. The first building, Gary Main, opened in 1959. The Indiana limestone structure housed all campus facilities: classrooms, science labs, administrative and faculty offices, a library, a bookstore, lounges, a lobby for exhibits, and a 600-seat auditorium. Serving as a cultural catalyst, Gary Main established the first regional campus theater program in 1961. It became a cultural hub for the region, sponsoring many community/campus theater productions, art exhibits, and other performances. A large addition was completed in 1966. Upon the inauguration of the IU regional campus system in 1968, the Gary Extension Center became Indiana University Northwest. In 1977, Gary Main was renamed Tamarack Hall, after a tree species common in the region. Devastated by a flood in 2008, it never reopened and was demolished in 2012.
|University Lake||IU Bloomington||10/15/2019|
It was feared that the University would have to be closed for lack of water.
Due to frequent droughts and dependence upon Bloomington’s municipal water supply, the Indiana University campus suffered recurrent water shortages beginning in 1899. To counter threats to move the university to Indianapolis, IU president William Lowe Bryan obtained state funding to construct a reservoir in 1909. IU selected a suitable site along a side valley of Griffy Creek. In July 1911, workers completed a 29-foot concrete arch dam, along with waterworks to pump the water. Two years later, IU increased the dam’s height to 40 feet so it could hold more water. Although this ensured an adequate water supply for the campus’ physical plant, city residents and students continued to suffer from water famines. After a protracted process marred by political corruption, the city of Bloomington dammed the main channel of Griffy Creek in 1924, creating Griffy Lake, which supplied water to both the city and IU. University Lake, now redundant as a water supply, serves as a site for recreation and research.
|Collins Living-Learning Center||IU Bloomington||10/25/2019|
Collins has been a national leader in high-impact residential education centered of self-governance, the arts, and sustainability since 1972. Built as the first university-owned dormitory in 1924, Washington Hall (now Smith, formerly South Hall) housed students previously scattered in private rooming houses. With West (now Edmondson) and North (now Cravens) Halls, opened in 1940, it formed the Men’s Residence Center. From 1942-44 MRC hosted the U.S. Naval Training School, which trained more than 5,000 personnel for wartime service, and from 1959-61 it was the site of the Air Force Language Training Program. MRC became coeducational in 1970. A student campaign saved it from being repurposed as office space, and in 1972 MRC became IU’s first Living-Learning Center, an experimental community modeled on residential colleges where students gained responsibility for shaping the academic curriculum. It was named in honor of former MRC headmaster Ralph L. Collings in 1980.
|Whitewater Hall||IU East||11/5/2019|
In 1971, the Trustees of Indiana University, with significant financial assistance from local residents, purchased land for a new campus in Richmond. Breaking ground in 1972, the main building of Indiana University East was dedicated by IU President John Ryan in 1975. This building, similar in function and style to the first buildings on the other regional campuses, served as a comprehensive academic center. It provided classrooms, laboratories, an auditorium, computer facilities, a library, a student center, and faculty and staff offices for the new campus. In 1992, upon the construction of Hayes Hall, the campus’ second building, it was named Whitewater Hall, in honor of the east fork of the Whitewater River running through Richmond. Remaining a vital center on an expanded campus, Whitewater Hall embodies the confluence of educational aspirations in the local community with the statewide presence of Indiana University.