By Scott Jauch, Bicentennial Intern, Class of 2016, International Studies
Founded in 1820 as the State Seminary, Indiana University offered its first classes in 1825 on a section of land located southwest of the current IU Bloomington campus.
It was here that the school expanded to Indiana College in 1828 and Indiana University in 1838.
IU eventually moved to its current campus in the 1880s when a catastrophic fire burned down one of the main buildings on the old campus.
This timeline traces the history of IU’s original campus from the site’s selection in the 1800s through the present day.